August 30, 2012

quitting meat cold turkey

dekel and i are going vegan.
we are going to stop eating meat & animal by-products alltogether.
we are quitting life as we know it. cold turkey. (pun intended)  :)

this includes eggs & dairy.
and i looooovvvveee me some cheese!
it's going to be hard and its not going to happen over night, but its a way of life we think we should lve by.
we just believe very strongly in animal rights and humane justice too much.
we are starting with our diet first, substituting things like soy milk & tofu for what we are used to, and slowly we will work veganism into our way of life in other aspects, like our home products, my cosmetics, our furniture, maybe even clothing...

"becoming" vegan is never something i even considered before a few days ago when i saw this.
it shook me.
i was never thinking about what i ate and where it came from until i "took my blinders off."

i am not writing this to try to convince others to do the same, but i would like to suggest that you really become very aware of what you put into your bodies and where the food you eat comes from. living a healthy life and being kind to others (whether its to people, animals or nature!) are the some of the most important things in life, in my opinion.

so, to kick off our veganism, we devoured some falafel  :)

wearing: tee from marshalls, hot pink bra from target, skirt from h&m, belt from golf,
sandals from twenty four seven & a LAMB wristlet from my bestie









6 comments :

Unknown said...

I am doing the low carb thing which is pretty much the exact opposite of being a vegan, but much respect. Also you're adorable.

Mo said...

But physically it's been a world of wonder, my tits are gone my rings and pants don't fit, my nails grow like a sickness and overall I feel sassy. I'll begin posting my recipes, good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I think this is a wonderful act to engage. I often eat vegan, but not for my entire diet. My "way of life" for the past year has been to focus less on materialistic things, because I feel the world has become so dependent on "things" rather than being truly thankful for the things we already have. I am guilty of this, but instead of buying a new shirt that I do NOT need, that was probably made in a sweat shop, I go do something outside, like taking a walk or visiting a local museum, I try to do something that doesn't involve purchasing a thing. Anyways, good luck to you both on this new step :)

Kirsten said...

First off, I love your glasses! They are so cute!

Second, I wonder if the vegan lifestyle is healthy. I think meat and other animal products are meant to be eaten. Without eating them, things will go to waste. If a cow is not milked their udders will explode, if animals just live and die (without being eaten), wouldn't that cause more decay everywhere? There is a difference between animal cruelty and a healthy balance in life. Our body needs nutrients found in certain foods. Yes, there are vitamins, but if we eat properly, they would not have such a big job to do (it is healthy to take them, but I think it would be better to not make them the sole source of everything). Also, for the non-vegan/vegetarian world, it is makes it very difficult and inconvenient for meat-eaters to host them without a great amount of stress.

I agree, know where your food comes from, eat organically and locally grown foods, but is not eating beef going to help? Or would it be better for it to sit and rot after it has died, filling up and smelling up the space and air?

Even within the first two minutes he has taken out of context the words written in Exodus and Matthew (I believe). Why would the golden rule and do not kill apply to animals when God himself clothed Adam and Eve in animal skins after they sinned in the garden? Animals were used for sacrifice. God sent quail to the Israelites when they were wandering in the desert. Jesus caused fish to be multiplied to feed the 5,000 who came to hear Him speak.

This is a fascinating subject, and one that frustrates me, too. I have a hard time understanding such choices when no personal and involuntary health reasons are involved.

I welcome discussions, as I would love to see more views.

Fall in Love said...

I like your braid and your outfit!

Laura

http://fallinlove.com.ar/?lang=en

Kirsten said...

Hi, I saw your comment. It is strange my email was not able to be found.

You may contact me at

mylifetintedpink@gmail.com